Skemaholics Anonymous

Layouts 4 Ning and more!

I'm fairly speechless and at the same time I have so much to say that I can't get it all out in one sitting...

http://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/announcing-ning-3

Feel free to share your thoughts or just plain vent.

Views: 1498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I don't understand why the option to theme for Creators for a small price (which adds up) isn't viable. With the loss of themes for personal pages then changing tactics and making some money on the side should be welcoming. This keeps the creative juices going and pays for everyones time.

Oh well as a business woman I see this as a plus but maybe it just isn't everyones cuppa tea.If you guys don't trust me someone else will to fill that void. I just think you have the backing of many people who know your good work to lose those ties would be unfortunate.

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

Angela this whole issues has broken my heart and I am not sure what is really going to be ahead.Praise God I have always been blessed to help out not only here but other situations as well but this time Jack and I talked and if there will be no use for themes anymore he feels its time to stop investing ya know? What is left for designers?? I have no other use than that of themes.
This is by NO MEANS a good bye note its just to say Jack doesn't feel the investment is worth it at this time I am so sorry I would love to help as I always have but it doesn't look good. Best wishes and I cannot thank you enough for all you have helped me with and being such a great online friend. I will be hanging on the sidelines making themes I am not any good to you at this point with coding talk or anything close to it so sorry:~{ Sorry I sucked as a mediator I know so little :`{ Love you and big ((HUGS)) and Ning really sucks now

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

That is so sad.

AnGella said:

Maybe I could do a banner sale to raise some money to pay for the last year of happy theming. lol

PerseH said:

Yes for Creators who will be lost, so possibly standard backgrounds they can choose from still for a price, then for more creative backgrounds you up the price. I don't see you doing banners too much work, why not keep it simple as it is they will have their network name available through Ning.

This lifts the burden off your shoulders because most will use a standard background (simple, clean) this way even businesses will use them but for others whom like a more personal look you can create genres and have many to choose from. My personal feeling is I wouldn't overly work on the genres because of your time but have enough to make everyone happy.

Your price point is the key though, so keeping it low enough for someone to pay you would be preferable. I know I have been to a few sites where the price is too high and I just bolt.

Don't let it break your heart sweetie! For me, I will still be making images for people to make their pages better. The point of the discussion about maybe leaving Ning, was to get member input on if they would still use the site if Ning made these changes. You're a great moderator and I am super appreciative of your help!

Here is the feedback I am giving Ning:

Ning 3.0 Network:

http://skemanon.ning.com/

Bug reports

4/06 Unable to sign into sandbox using Firefox. Chrome ok.

Issues

4/06 Unable to locate settings that allow user to hide activity. Many users do not want a "Stalker" wall displaying everything they do, especially as the first thing you see when coming to their page. Also, is there a way to make whole profile private?

Suggestions

If CSS will not be allowed, please consider allowing members a background image and some color choices so they feel they have more control over their Profile in a way that reflects them self. A picture is worth a thousand words. For NCs who do not want artistic variation on their member pages, there can be an option to disable that as was the case when I signed up for this platform.

Members do not want to loose their text boxes and NCs don't want to loose their Profile questions that allow members to add video embeds or music embeds, slideshows etc. These could be an "About Me" tab. This tab should also display first; as it is the member's space to introduce them self and thus "socialize" with others who share like interests.

Questions

I'm still not clear on whether members will have the option to style their profile pages or not. Can some one please let us know? Last I heard they would not be able to add CSS, but I am not sure if this is true.

PerseH said:

I guess I don't understand why the option to theme for Creators for a small price (which adds up) isn't viable. With the loss of themes for personal pages then changing tactics and making some money on the side should be welcoming. This keeps the creative juices going and pays for everyones time.

Oh well as a business woman I see this as a plus but maybe it just isn't everyones cuppa tea.If you guys don't trust me someone else will to fill that void. I just think you have the backing of many people who know your good work to lose those ties would be unfortunate.

It's viable for me, providing I can make up the cost of maintaining the site.

Here is a thread you guys might be interested in on Creators, I believe I noticed the trend as well.

http://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/ning-3-0-does-facebook-timeli...

Yeah, not digging the facebook copy. lol

i need info with what i need to do

No need to panic yet, unless your writing code for Ning 3.0 now. Personally I am not overly concerned as Design Studio was a hint of what was to come. Design Studio is a pain, but I can still do 90% of what I did before. What I cannot do is isolate each module or object as in the older Advanced stying. As long as Ning offers HTML control and a custom CSS page, then we just have to dance to their tune. I am more concerned they will "hard-code" so much CSS that we have little flexibility left. For example, I can no longer use the h6 tag to set up custom fonts in Design Studio.

You can start here for info: http://creators.ning.com/page/ning-3-0-the-re-imagining-of-our-product

emil jelecevic said:

i need info with what i need to do

I'm holding off a bit on coding. The members will not be allowed any CSS for their pages from what I read @ Creators.ning.com

Sparky Swan said:

No need to panic yet, unless your writing code for Ning 3.0 now. Personally I am not overly concerned as Design Studio was a hint of what was to come. Design Studio is a pain, but I can still do 90% of what I did before. What I cannot do is isolate each module or object as in the older Advanced stying. As long as Ning offers HTML control and a custom CSS page, then we just have to dance to their tune. I am more concerned they will "hard-code" so much CSS that we have little flexibility left. For example, I can no longer use the h6 tag to set up custom fonts in Design Studio.

I'm ok with making images for people to use. When I get the time that is. lol

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

From what I have read members will not have code only net work creators... I don't blame you Angela seems to be no hurry. "Whatever" has become my attitude. Nothing I can do about Ning and what it is doing but accept it. Enjoy my hobby as long as its here for me.

AnGella said:

I'm holding off a bit on coding. The members will not be allowed any CSS for their pages from what I read @ Creators.ning.com

Sparky Swan said:

I bought Adobe's Masterpiece collection for $3,500 and Labview to automate page construction and do CGI for $3,500 and spent $20,000 on Dell 690 workstations, just to get stuck doing backgrounds and headers in a few years.
Somehow I do not feel bad about that as the BG and header play such an important part of a pages style. It is more than window dressing. I can make custom Photobuckets and video players but they have performance issues on small laptops, so my chats with others at Ning Creators group all came to the same conclusion. Even if these were available as an app to download, most small laptops would choke on hi-performance video or graphics. That is the Techno-limit that I have. Most teens and college students have a laptop at most. They have to scroll just to see the BG image.

I can't stand laptops, much less smart phones or tablets. I like the full PC experience. lol You are right, there is so much you can do with backgrounds and banners. :) I just started to style my 3.0 site and it's not so bad. http://skemanon.ning.com/

Sparky Swan said:

I bought Adobe's Masterpiece collection for $3,500 and Labview to automate page construction and do CGI for $3,500 and spent $20,000 on Dell 690 workstations, just to get stuck doing backgrounds and headers in a few years.
Somehow I do not feel bad about that as the BG and header play such an important part of a pages style. It is more than window dressing. I can make custom Photobuckets and video players but they have performance issues on small laptops, so my chats with others at Ning Creators group all came to the same conclusion. Even if these were available as an app to download, most small laptops would choke on hi-performance video or graphics. That is the Techno-limit that I have. Most teens and college students have a laptop at most. They have to scroll just to see the BG image.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

Translate!

Forum

Shiny Happy Random Thread 1595 Replies

Started by AnGella in Meeting Place. Last reply by James McDonald Jan 28.

RIP Skemanon 2009 - 2021 27 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Jun 3, 2023.

Apologies for Delayed Moderation 9 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by ღCustom Creationsღ Test Page Apr 21, 2021.

Skemanon 2020? 36 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Aug 10, 2020.

How to make puffy stickers in PSP 16 Replies

Started by QueenJackie in Tutorials ~ In General. Last reply by Connie (。♥‿♥。) Mar 14, 2020.

Generators!

Click the buttons below to make your own layouts!

SiteModel

Ning Generator

Skinny Ning

Biker Or Not

Test Your Ning Code Here!

Create!

Contribute to SA

Find this site helpful? Please consider a donation!

Random Ning Networks

© 2024   Created by AnGella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service