Skemaholics Anonymous

Layouts 4 Ning and more!

For those times when Skem9 goes down and we need a back-up plan....

Views: 6621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barbara Mc said:

OK B, I know you hate animation and you know I am a sucker for it....this is a jpg image....awesome optical illusion? What makes it tick?

Just that - An optical illusion. Open it up in your favorite image editor and see if there's any layers.

But, it's also possible for file extensions to be meaningless. There's various ways to make the server hosting the file parse one file extension as another (for example, file.jpg shows file.html). Files use something called "headers" to tell the computer how to handle it, what kind of file it is, etc. A header called Content-type would allow you to load a URL named "file.jpg", but yet the browser parses "file.png."

It's also possible for them not to really be images at all. For example, on the Skem9 replica, whenever you upload an image, that image gets upload to imgur and deleted from my server. But if you look at the URL, it's actually domain.com/images/filehash.jpg. The actual URL to that file on my server is domain.com/index.php/images/index/, which accepts a third parameter, which it looks for in the database, and if it's valid, it loads the image from imgur.com, so I can save bandwidth and hard drive space. TinyPic does something similar.

This is Neil DeGrasse Tyson making funny faces in an apparent .jpg: http://i39.tinypic.com/2znwoyu.jpg
Better yet: http://i39.tinypic.com/2znwoyu.html

How many words in did I lose relevance?

I think it was all relevant. Informative too.

All relevant, lol, just over my head. Didn't know about the file ext. I would have thought, if I'd bothered to have "thought", which I probably wouldn't, that jpg was jpg or gif was a gif, no matter where or what it was uploaded to. Now the scary part is, I'm looking at this thing this morning and they're not moving. Ummmm, one girl had commented on Mop's post that if your mind is active they are moving, dang, does that mean I'm brain dead this morning?

I have a major issue. I can not stand being lied to and I live with a child who lies to me every day. Barbara, she looks sweet and innocent... but every oppourtunity she gets she is up to no good. When I was her age I was sooo much more independent. I was allowed to go to the store, friends houses over a mile away on my bike, etc... I won't let this child out of eyesight because of all the crappy choices she makes. If I check her chores on any given day I will be lucky to find them half done. (Many times this is what the lies revolve around) I hate that I can't trust her.

Dad left this morning and already she's on my list for letting the dogs out to play before they went potty. I was in the office and could her her high pitched baby talking to the dogs. I figured she was just greeting them as she fed them. Then I go to the little girl's room and I can hear her still playing with them. When I came out and asked her what she was doing she says feeding the dogs. Couple days ago she was grounded for not doing her chores properly before going to a waterpark with her friend. When I caught her in her brother's room watching cable and asked her what she was doing she told me she was feeding the rabbits. I'm stupified at the ridiculousness of lying to some one who obviously saw what you were doing. This happens in some form daily.

One friend told me I should stop asking her questions, if so I may never speak to her again. lol Seriously tho, some times I wonder if she has serious personality issues. In any event, I think it is causing me to have personality issues.

Part 1 - Dang SA: I don't know Ange. My way of mothering is frowned upon today. Everyone's watching the "Nanny" and just makes me gag at what they are doing and the hardship they are putting on themselves and the child. We raised our son the way we were raised. We were close and did things with him and he confided in me if not his dad, but I was never his best friend and never had any intentions of being. Being friends is ok to a point, I'm not saying don't be friends, but you definitely gotta be the alpha male here and there has to be respect. Respect is the one thing I look at with problem children and see lacking. They don't respect themselves and certainly not anyone else. The second thing is it's the "All about me". I don't get this. How can you allow a child to think the whole world has to cater to their every little whim? They're gonna run into a brick wall one day when they find out the world is not about them. Do you think Alex, well you know she has to be, is having separation issues from her mother?

AnGella said:

I have a major issue. I can not stand being lied to and I live with a child who lies to me every day. Barbara, she looks sweet and innocent... but every oppourtunity she gets she is up to no good. When I was her age I was sooo much more independent. I was allowed to go to the store, friends houses over a mile away on my bike, etc... I won't let this child out of eyesight because of all the crappy choices she makes. If I check her chores on any given day I will be lucky to find them half done. (Many times this is what the lies revolve around) I hate that I can't trust her.

Dad left this morning and already she's on my list for letting the dogs out to play before they went potty. I was in the office and could her her high pitched baby talking to the dogs. I figured she was just greeting them as she fed them. Then I go to the little girl's room and I can hear her still playing with them. When I came out and asked her what she was doing she says feeding the dogs. Couple days ago she was grounded for not doing her chores properly before going to a waterpark with her friend. When I caught her in her brother's room watching cable and asked her what she was doing she told me she was feeding the rabbits. I'm stupified at the ridiculousness of lying to some one who obviously saw what you were doing. This happens in some form daily.

One friend told me I should stop asking her questions, if so I may never speak to her again. lol Seriously tho, some times I wonder if she has serious personality issues. In any event, I think it is causing me to have personality issues.

Part 2 - Dang SA: Despite the kind of person a mother is, a child has got to miss her and probably blame whoever is around because they're not her mom or dad, whichever one she/he's not with. Playing Dr Phil here too, does she feel the difference between she and Gabe? That always worried me about Johnny, my stepson, because he was so distant and hard to interact with. When our son was born I always felt guilty hugging him or all the little things you do without thinking of when Johnny was around. Not that I was withholding that love from Johnny, just that he couldn't take that love. Sigh. I wish I had the answer. Not sure not asking her any questions is the right answer though.

Barbara Mc said:

Part 1 - Dang SA: I don't know Ange. My way of mothering is frowned upon today. Everyone's watching the "Nanny" and just makes me gag at what they are doing and the hardship they are putting on themselves and the child. We raised our son the way we were raised. We were close and did things with him and he confided in me if not his dad, but I was never his best friend and never had any intentions of being. Being friends is ok to a point, I'm not saying don't be friends, but you definitely gotta be the alpha male here and there has to be respect. Respect is the one thing I look at with problem children and see lacking. They don't respect themselves and certainly not anyone else. The second thing is it's the "All about me". I don't get this. How can you allow a child to think the whole world has to cater to their every little whim? They're gonna run into a brick wall one day when they find out the world is not about them. Do you think Alex, well you know she has to be, is having separation issues from her mother?

AnGella said:

Part 3- Dang SA: Does she have a tv in her room too? I agree she does look and acted sweet and innocent the afternoon we spent together. Ship her to me. I would love to have a little girl....but warn her before you wrap her up...I believe in tough love. I believe in being fair and doing what I promise, but it has to work both ways. Sometimes a child has to learn this the hard way. I don't envy you. A girl child that you are the birth mother to is difficult enough, much less being a step mother.

As for separation issues, I'm sure there must be. It was always harder for Alex to leave her Memo tho. (Scott's Mom) Even before Scott got custody she was kinda quiet and distant, like she wasn't going to let me replace her Memo. Her older half sister was really talkative and cuddly with me. My mother was not cuddly and I'm not real cuddly either but I do cuddle with Gabe when he wants to.

I have read extensive articles on things like RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) and stuff about lying and I am sick to death of all the drugs people want to put kids on instead of discipline. She doesn't need drugs, she needs to trust the adults who are in her life.

I agree with ref to the meds. My uneducated opinion is that parents had rather medicate their child than to deal with the issue. It has to be dealt with, and it is better for the child and everyone concerned to understand and take care of it now. I wish I had an answer. If I did, I could make millions. Have you tried maybe sitting down with her and talking to her like you would an adult you have issues with? She seemed very mature and yes, just as sweet as she could be. Maybe that would work, just say "Alex what am I doing wrong? Am I doing something to make you unhappy or what can I do to make things better for you? We have rules and we all have things that are our responsibility. Now what can I do to make your responsibilities easier for you? The more we all excel at what we have to do, the more freedom we can all have to do what we want to do."
I dunno. I'd give it a try. There is a key somewhere that fits her lock. It's just a bitch to find it, I know.

AnGella said:

As for separation issues, I'm sure there must be. It was always harder for Alex to leave her Memo tho. (Scott's Mom) Even before Scott got custody she was kinda quiet and distant, like she wasn't going to let me replace her Memo. Her older half sister was really talkative and cuddly with me. My mother was not cuddly and I'm not real cuddly either but I do cuddle with Gabe when he wants to.

I have read extensive articles on things like RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) and stuff about lying and I am sick to death of all the drugs people want to put kids on instead of discipline. She doesn't need drugs, she needs to trust the adults who are in her life.

Yeah, we have had that talk plenty. Not so much on the what am I doing wrong side, but the look... you aren't allowed to do these things because we can not trust you. She has been told the only way to fix it is to stop doing it. Maybe I am too logical. lol

Anywho, because of the RAD it is suggested not to give them the attention they may be trying to get that way. With a RAD kid the conversations about their behavior can actually encourage more of it. If you read a little on it, you will see how frustrated a parent can become. http://radkid.org

Reactive Attachment Disorder: Mom’s Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray my sanity to keep.
For if some peace I do not find
I fear I may just lose my mind.
I pray I find a little quiet
away from the family riot.
May I have a moment and not have to think
about what he’s stuffing down the sink.
Or what outrageous tales he’s told
and what stolen treasures his pockets hold.
Some peaceful moments for goodness sake
(Did I just hear a window break?)
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray my sanity to keep
But as I look around, I know
I must have lost it long ago!

-- TLPETTY

http://www.alearningaday.com/2012/03/richard-stallman-was-at-nation...

That is a good interview. I like how Stallman makes his points easy for even non-technical people to understand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

Translate!

Forum

Shiny Happy Random Thread 1595 Replies

Started by AnGella in Meeting Place. Last reply by James McDonald Jan 28.

RIP Skemanon 2009 - 2021 27 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Jun 3, 2023.

Apologies for Delayed Moderation 9 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by ღCustom Creationsღ Test Page Apr 21, 2021.

Skemanon 2020? 36 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Aug 10, 2020.

How to make puffy stickers in PSP 16 Replies

Started by QueenJackie in Tutorials ~ In General. Last reply by Connie (。♥‿♥。) Mar 14, 2020.

Generators!

Click the buttons below to make your own layouts!

SiteModel

Ning Generator

Skinny Ning

Biker Or Not

Test Your Ning Code Here!

Create!

Contribute to SA

Find this site helpful? Please consider a donation!

Random Ning Networks

© 2024   Created by AnGella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service