Skemaholics Anonymous

Layouts 4 Ning and more!

For those times when Skem9 goes down and we need a back-up plan....

Views: 6621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahhhh, see Brandon, how much we miss you....You made Ange wet her pants. We are so glad you're back. She and I can be very boring to each other.....we need you around to add that zest in our lives. If not for you we wouldn't be thinking of vibrators and sex toys tonight. Thank you so much:}

Maybe we will have to try harder to think about different things to spice up the thread. I did notice we now have some ads for vibrating chairs... lmfao!

That's right Ange. You know, a vibrating chair might not be so bad! Off to work shortly. 3 long 12 hr days without use of a computer for SA, Yahoo or FB.....have to watch 7 damn screens and not a one of them that I can enjoy, sigh. What we have to do to eat. I love my job, I love my job, I love my job, I love my job, I love my job. Yal pray for me and if I survive the first 12 hrs I'll catch ya tonight:}

I know, some days I would trade my "job" to go back to work... but with Scott's hours and out of town stints me holding any job outside the home is not going to happen. Still didn't make enough google revenue to get tax papers.

Just did our taxes... phew. We should be caught up after that.

You wanna do mine? Haven't evens started yet.

Purely out of boredom, I've been writing a little community in PHP. I wonder if John would sue me for using the Skem9 design (not taking credit for that, of course) and putting it online (maybe not for use, but just to show off and show that I actually did it).

Tonight I've been working on photo uploads and galleries and stuff. I have it set up so that the photos are displayed like path/to/photo.jpg, but that actually just calls a function that pulls the images from imgur. That way the photos don't take up storage space or bandwidth on whatever server it's hosted from.

I am a genius.

...I just remembered, tumblr does the same thing, but with Amazon AWS.

[bows down]
You amaze me. If you need any help testing stuff, I would love to.
If John doesn't want to bring the site back I doubt he would give you any hassle.

I wonder if John has been working on the site.

I'm not saying I would bring the site back, but just have it as something to put in the "look what I did" file. Tbh, I'm not really willing to put up the funds required to properly host it (anything beyond several active members would probably cost about $30/month, and I've got better things to spend money on), since I get the feeling it wouldn't generate much ad revenue. But if someone else wanted to use the code and host it, I'm cool with that, GNU license, and all that.

My personal opinion: No. If he had any progress on it, it seems like he would say so. Unless he just wants to pop back up with a brand new version of the site all done at once.

Skem9 was just so smooth as far as making it easy for people to post.

Wordpress is awesome, but it lacks the simple submission of layouts that Skem9 offered. I'm just not as into programing and php as I am design and CSS. Whole different areas. You rock at them both. I would get more into php if I could lock myself in a room for several straight hours and no interruptions. lol

I would love to be able to upgrade to a site built to do what we do here.
I would pay for it too if it was affordable.

I'm actually pretty bad at design, I just don't enjoy it. That's the main reason I wanted to use the old Skem9 design for this project.

We'll see how this turns out. I'm not promising a full-featured product, I've just been chipping away at it this week. I'm not gonna take any money for it, since then I kinda have to support it. I'll have something for you and whoever else to try out before too long. I'm finishing up user profiles and images, and stuff like that. I haven't started on any type of user submissions like layouts, or forums.

It's weird about the forums. The skem9 forums were so user-friendly (assuming I'm the user). vBulletin, SMF, even Ning, just doesn't feel comfortable for me like the Skem9 forums did.

At some point, I might get your help in setting up a form for submitting layouts. I'm unfamiliar with the whole process, so you could tell me what would be ideal, and I would try to work that in.

I always liked what you came up with for your profiles. You certainly don't suck at design, but I can understand the not enjoying it part. I suck at social stuff yet I try to run a social network... being social is hard for me, but I try cause I love being creative and at least others here are into art too. lol

Heck I was dealing with what I had to work with, but having it the way you want it is always preferred. lol I will be keeping this Ning site indefinitely, so I shouldn't need a full featured product, but the submission process would be the top of my pet peeve list and a big reason more people don't contribute. I have templates for submission forms and javascript that sends the CSS to the proper preview type, plugging it into another platform shouldn't be too hard, it's just rigged to work within the wordpress boundaries. lol

I completely agree with you on the forums! I hate these, that's why I tried all the others like phpbb, bbpress was the most comfortable but abandoned for buddypress which I am just not sure about either. My old server wasn't able to handle it but I have since upgraded to a server with a newer version of php. Trying another forum was just not on my list, which is why I gave up and moved back here.

You've always helped me out, I am here when you need it. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

Translate!

Forum

Shiny Happy Random Thread 1595 Replies

Started by AnGella in Meeting Place. Last reply by James McDonald Jan 28.

RIP Skemanon 2009 - 2021 27 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Jun 3, 2023.

Apologies for Delayed Moderation 9 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by ღCustom Creationsღ Test Page Apr 21, 2021.

Skemanon 2020? 36 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Aug 10, 2020.

How to make puffy stickers in PSP 16 Replies

Started by QueenJackie in Tutorials ~ In General. Last reply by Connie (。♥‿♥。) Mar 14, 2020.

Generators!

Click the buttons below to make your own layouts!

SiteModel

Ning Generator

Skinny Ning

Biker Or Not

Test Your Ning Code Here!

Create!

Contribute to SA

Find this site helpful? Please consider a donation!

Random Ning Networks

© 2024   Created by AnGella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service