Skemaholics Anonymous

Layouts 4 Ning and more!

Hiya Guys and Gals!

In the past month we have been faced with the news of Ning making a MAJOR change to the platform we are currently on. NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT. This affects ALL Ning sites our members are currently on. Not only will it effect Network Creators, but it will effect members in a way that will effect this site as well, like dominoes. We are at a crossroads where our future is concerned. We want to know; Should we stay or should we go?

On one hand, this could be very bad for us. For starters, we could loose members. For me personally, I stand to put in many more hours developing code for this new site. For members, they may be loosing a big part of their personal profile pages according to this article. It seems we will still be allowed a "Cover" image, but no word yet on if a background image will also be allowed. They are standing firm on removing CSS at this point. When members loose functionality of their profiles, Network Creators get nervous that their members will leave for other sites like facebook, which is the direction Ning is heading. So this is why I come to you, will you stay or will you go?

On another hand we have a great opportunity for growth. One of the new TOS for all Ning | Glam Social sites is that their logo be displayed in the footer. Believe it or not, this helps us. Members discover that they can search Google, bing, Yahoo etc. for their "Cover" images and we will be there. I am a designer and creating images is what I love to do, so I will be happy to create more tutorials to assist you in creating "Cover" images. Another possibility for our creators is to market their talents in assisting Network Creators with the design of their new 3.0 network. There will be many who will be looking for help in the coming months. I haven't started on the coding yet, but you can bet I will if the demand is there. Does this sound good to you? Will you stay or will you go?

If a few of you would like to take the new platform for a spin, I have a test site HERE that you can sign up for. I can only have a few members so please only sign up if you are willing to test the site and offer feedback.

Your time and opinion is appreciated!

AnGella

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am happy you have enjoyed the site. Right now we are still struggling to pay the bill.

Célia Cristina said:

Olá, Angela, bom dia!
Amiga, para mim, o que vocês decidirem está bom. Gosto muito desta casa e dos lindos temas que ela nos oferece.
Eu rezo para que o Skemanon não acabe e continue nos dando a alegria de estarmos todos aqui.
Obrigada, por nos oferecer este lindo lugar.
Bjs. Célia Cristina.

Oh, that one. Is it for social networking?

ḓø◎∂ℓℯ❞ʟƴᾔ ∂εṧḯℊηẕ said:

http://skemanon.com/profile/KettererNoemi

AnGella said:

That is not Ning, it's a separate site that uses the same selectors that Myspace did for their 1.0 . The groups are sorta customizable. I couldn't get it to allow me a top banner though.

I don't know who Noah is or the platform they are advertising.

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

That is kewl is that Ning? Blame looks like MySpace and I have NEVER been a fan of MySpace only to download ministry videos. Ning is my place... I seen alot of advertising from Noah about another platform do you know what that is?

AnGella said:

Really not that review but to be honest I liked more the old editor, now if it is to improve it even more would have to wait to try it

Thanks for your input! There is a possibility that I might open a 3.0 site for a couple months before we switch. We'll keep people posted. :)

ROSALINDA said:

Really not that review but to be honest I liked more the old editor, now if it is to improve it even more would have to wait to try it

I just developed coding for our Wordpress sites that allows us to customize our pages. I would be able to build a Wordpress site where it is possible for clients interested in that if Ning 3.0 does not allow it. What is Wordpress asking for what you want?

Carol Thomas said:

I HAVE BEEN CREATING CLASSIC THEMES FOR THE NING SITE THAT I'M ALSO ONE OF THE ADMINS., AND HAVE BEEN

MAKING WHOLE ENTIRE THEMES FOR MANY YEARS, AND THEY WANT TO TAKE ALL OF THAT AWAY FROM US????

I DO NOT BELONG TO FACEBOOK, AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

IF WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE ANY BACKGROUND IMAGES, AND COLOR CHOICES WHAT'S THE USE IN EVEN

BEING ON ANY NING SITE AFTER NING CHANGES TO 3.0.. TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE COLORLESS, AND

DRAB...LIKE i'VE SEEN IN WORDPRESS, UNLESS YOU PAY A WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY TO GET WHAT YOU WANT, I

WOULDN'T MIND PAYING SOME MONEY, BUT NOT WHAT WORDPRESS IS ASKING FOR.

I KNOW THAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET USED TO WHAT NING THROWS AT US, BUT ISN'T THERE SOMEWHERE

--WHERE WE STOP TRYING TO GET USED TO THINGS LIKE THAT?

So far it has been simple. Almost too simple. Hope the spruce it up.

Carol Thomas said:

That's how I feel, feelings hurt..... What on earth does Ning think that us creators have been doing for years, creating themes, and helping the members of a site or sites, by placing a nice theme on their profile page for them... so they don't have to worry about how to create a theme, or where to go to find one.....
I surely do hope that the 3.0 is easier then we think it will be

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

LOL with Ning? I know how you feel Carol I have been playing themes for yrs but with this change they are taking it all away it looks however all said and done we could be way over calling it and it may not be as bad as we are taking it right now because it sounds like Ning is throwing us out the back door. Hurt my feelings!

Carol Thomas said:

I HAVE BEEN CREATING CLASSIC THEMES FOR THE NING SITE THAT I'M ALSO ONE OF THE ADMINS., AND HAVE BEEN

MAKING WHOLE ENTIRE THEMES FOR MANY YEARS, AND THEY WANT TO TAKE ALL OF THAT AWAY FROM US????

I DO NOT BELONG TO FACEBOOK, AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

IF WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE ANY BACKGROUND IMAGES, AND COLOR CHOICES WHAT'S THE USE IN EVEN

BEING ON ANY NING SITE AFTER NING CHANGES TO 3.0.. TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE COLORLESS, AND

DRAB...LIKE i'VE SEEN IN WORDPRESS, UNLESS YOU PAY A WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY TO GET WHAT YOU WANT, I

I KNOW THAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET USED TO WHAT NING THROWS AT US, BUT ISN'T THERE SOMEWHERE

The one Mystical just did is for our Wordpress site. She thought it was Ning, but it is our wordpress with Buddypress added and a little jQuery magic that I learned.

ϟḱεღøη Tester said:

I love what Mystical has done with the 3.0 our skills need to focus with that header making me want to get photoshop now psh.... just a thought. I think I might could enjoy it. Wow sure is a time saver isn't it. Could do many in one day if wanted too. We might still have our hobby! Only time will tell♥

AnGella said:

So far it has been simple. Almost too simple. Hope the spruce it up.

Carol Thomas said:

That's how I feel, feelings hurt..... What on earth does Ning think that us creators have been doing for years, creating themes, and helping the members of a site or sites, by placing a nice theme on their profile page for them... so they don't have to worry about how to create a theme, or where to go to find one.....
I surely do hope that the 3.0 is easier then we think it will be

ϟḱεღøη ≧❀‿❀≦ said:

LOL with Ning? I know how you feel Carol I have been playing themes for yrs but with this change they are taking it all away it looks however all said and done we could be way over calling it and it may not be as bad as we are taking it right now because it sounds like Ning is throwing us out the back door. Hurt my feelings!

Carol Thomas said:

I've been away working on my artwork and photography to have my own stuff to work with in design. although I love the look of the older ning, I can see the way of the future is to use the more responsive media applications. I don't even have an iphone or ipad but this is where the web is heading. I have been using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc to promote my art. I would like to learn more about this new journey. I can see beautiful galleries and all sorts of fun things happening. I have an unrestricted stock account on Devianart that you are all welcome to use for covers. My new venture is Healthy Living and I love sky shots. This looks alot like wordpress format. Anyway I'm here to stay if you 'll have me:) Here is my stock page Amethystmstock and here is my new commissions etc Facebook Fan Page Amethystmoonsong Creations Thank you for all you do, you have kept me inspired for a 'few' years. 

Yes, we are all getting used to the idea of the mobile web even if I am stuck behind a dinosaur desktop. ;) Glad you are enjoying making images and sharing as well. You still have an account for posting at our wordpress. Glad you're here, of course we'll have you! <3 Thanks so much for your input!

Amethystmoonsong said:

I've been away working on my artwork and photography to have my own stuff to work with in design. although I love the look of the older ning, I can see the way of the future is to use the more responsive media applications. I don't even have an iphone or ipad but this is where the web is heading. I have been using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc to promote my art. I would like to learn more about this new journey. I can see beautiful galleries and all sorts of fun things happening. I have an unrestricted stock account on Devianart that you are all welcome to use for covers. My new venture is Healthy Living and I love sky shots. This looks alot like wordpress format. Anyway I'm here to stay if you 'll have me:) Here is my stock page Amethystmstock and here is my new commissions etc Facebook Fan Page Amethystmoonsong Creations Thank you for all you do, you have kept me inspired for a 'few' years. 

No worries, sorry I don't have tuts ready!

After my first boo boo using mobile and deleting instead of approving a blog, I am ok with Ning 3.0 once it has all the features added. I do see the bonus of mobile sites and since we can still style our pages I am ready to accept the change.

I'll eventually get a generator for ning 3.0. Been involved in updating the rescue site with my free time to make it mobile friendly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

Translate!

Forum

Shiny Happy Random Thread 1595 Replies

Started by AnGella in Meeting Place. Last reply by James McDonald Jan 28.

RIP Skemanon 2009 - 2021 27 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Jun 3, 2023.

Apologies for Delayed Moderation 9 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by ღCustom Creationsღ Test Page Apr 21, 2021.

Skemanon 2020? 36 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Aug 10, 2020.

How to make puffy stickers in PSP 16 Replies

Started by QueenJackie in Tutorials ~ In General. Last reply by Connie (。♥‿♥。) Mar 14, 2020.

Generators!

Click the buttons below to make your own layouts!

SiteModel

Ning Generator

Skinny Ning

Biker Or Not

Test Your Ning Code Here!

Create!

Contribute to SA

Find this site helpful? Please consider a donation!

Random Ning Networks

© 2024   Created by AnGella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service