Skemaholics Anonymous

Layouts 4 Ning and more!

For those times when Skem9 goes down and we need a back-up plan....

Views: 6660

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will definitely look for the disks then. I moved my office so many times things got scattered.

Ok, that settles it. I'm going to bite the $240 bullet because I am so excited about what B has going on that I don't want to Funk it up in any way shape or form. I must be smarter than my computer and, how you say... manipulate computer screens, I can control these machines.

Don't bite any bullets on my account, I might get bored and drop it all tomorrow.

asteroids.com

LOL, I know that, but it just goes to show how NOT dead the site was. WT, Barbara and Diamond also aren't done from what they tell me. And some other members recently returned too so everything but my personal bank account points towards keeping it. Call me superstitious if you will. ;)

I'm not a big fan of buddypress.

If I sorted pro con we would have two cons stacked against several pros.
Cons
Forum
Price

Pros
Profiles
Blogs
Groups
Videos
Activity feeds
Facebook and Twitter integration
Etc...
And best of all
Maintenance free for me

I will make the money back, it's just taking it out of the we owe fund. lol

The bad thing about tutorials like that is that it makes use of bad, obsolete practices, that new learners will just have to un-learn at some point. Most glaringly in that tutorial is the reliance on the mysql_* functions. Starting with PHP 5.0, the mysqli_* functions (it's in the name: mysqlimproved) are preferred over mysql_*. At this point, PDO is a better, more object-oriented approach to both of them, not to mention more secure.

One of the biggest criticisms of PHP is that most of the tutorials that you find when you search, is old ones that aren't really on-par unless you time travel back to 2003. I don't know why that's PHP's fault, but apparently in the programming community, it is.

I hate to be that douche that jumps in just to say "Actually!", but I don't really have any links to good tutorials or anything like that, I gave up on that a long time ago, once I started looking at how other people accomplished a task I was trying to complete. The PHP.net manual is a great resource, too. It explains things clearly, and there's usually plenty of usage examples in the comments. A great book is PHP5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice (I might have the ebook somewhere, if you want it). Also, http://www.reddit.com/r/php - keeping up with that is good, too. The comments as well as the submissions, it sortof lets you see what other people are doing, and other peoples' criticisms of it.

Do you have a towel? I'm drenched behind the ears. With my luck by the time I figure it out things will be depreciated just like the tutorial. lol

I don't blame php for the lack of up to date tuts... my guess is that programmers just don't have time to deal with us noobs.

Ning has no forum improvements on their road map. Lame
But they did let me add the badge to our images. Not quite as useful as a kick ass forum.

And again, I am here, not much good for the techie stuff, but I will be glad to help out with the expenses.

AnGella said:

My troubles with Ning is that it is expensive and I hate their forums. I like most of the rest of it. lol I still have my own server space for the wordpress site and that is paid for the next year so I am not considering ditching SA, just Ning. If people really like ning and want us to stick around, I might be able to pay month to month until I get the google revenue I need. But if it is just the three of us hanging out we could do that without ning. lol

I think Zac had skem10.com was it available? I know you don't want to invest in the hosting, I can do that no problem cause it would be way cheaper than ning and I do have the spare dreamhost account too which likely has room on it for that.

Brandon P. said:

I haven't talked to John. I just spoke with Deb on Saturday, I think. She said she forwarded what I said to John, and called him, but I haven't heard from him, so it hasn't really gone over at all.

As far as it being down, d0p.us seems to be up one minute, and down the next. I don't really have an explanation for that, except that it's to be expected when you host your site on a server that one dude runs out of his apartment (I mean this literally).

I lost a few days of work on the project, because I was lazy and didn't push to the git repo before I started changing several computers' data around, but I'm back at it this morning, rewriting what I wrote over the weekend.

Considering your troubles with the ning site, if it doesn't pan out with John and me, I'll spend 20 grueling minutes in Photoshop and work out a new design so I'm not completely ripping everything off, and set up another site... Skem10.com? I'm open to suggestions.

lol At Angela, it would take more than a towel to get the wet from behind my ears. B, you sell yourself short. I think people would follow you just like John.....particularly if your site was set up like Skem9. We all loved it and after you had been around a while, the site was easy to get around in. John surely wasn't around much, it was just the site and the people there, like you....I could always count on your help with things and that goes a long way. Skem9 was so much more to me, personally, than FB or MS. It was a place to learn, not just read that someone just went to the mailbox or on the way to the shower. Sheesh. Look at the two weeks or so Skem9 was back up....look at the interest in learning Skem9 layouts again. As hard as Angela tried, that is something we could never get people interested in at SA. Sometimes I think I make the layouts just for my own pleasure....probably true...because of the lack of interaction. At Skem9 that was a daily ritual. Looking at and rating everyone's layouts. People commented....well the regulars anyway...and you knew people were using your stuff. Not to mention what a great learning tool that was for me. And for one of my layouts to be on top of the Top 5 list, made my day, week....I know I need to get a life, but it was great. I think people would come over, like it and stay. I think it would be a hit!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

Translate!

Forum

Untitled

Started by Zohra in Meeting Place on Thursday.

Shiny Happy Random Thread 1600 Replies

Started by AnGella in Meeting Place. Last reply by Ꮙℓἇ∂ἇ..aka Reɪvən ღ Sep 4.

RIP Skemanon 2009 - 2021 27 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Jun 3, 2023.

Apologies for Delayed Moderation 9 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by ღCustom Creationsღ Test Page Apr 21, 2021.

Skemanon 2020? 36 Replies

Started by AnGella in Announcements!. Last reply by AnGella Aug 10, 2020.

Generators!

Click the buttons below to make your own layouts!

SiteModel

Ning Generator

Skinny Ning

Biker Or Not

Test Your Ning Code Here!

Create!

Contribute to SA

Find this site helpful? Please consider a donation!

Random Ning Networks

© 2024   Created by AnGella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service